Friday, April 19, 2019

The Rat Warren Mines

I posted this map to twitter a while ago and in a recent poll, folks asked me to write some lore and post it next.  Here we go.


I think my favorite take on this map is from @wrinklewroes:
You expected danger to lurk around every corner. Instead, it’s nothing but an hours-long rat killing exercise. You exit the dungeon and look for the man who offered you gold to slay the monster within but can’t find him. Suddenly you’re coughing up blood.
The mines ran along the course of a fissure and series of small caves that led deep into the cliffs. No one thought too much of it until the miners broke through into the tiered cavern, and then the rats came on in earnest. The mining company also dug out a set of office space and a vault, that work also connected to the rats nest off of the cavern making a full circuit. That's when the rat problem really took off.

Rumors persist that the mine's treasury is still hidden, behind the swarms of rats, giant rats, and rat-men that now inhabit the complex.

2d3 things in a ratman's purse:
2)  A lucky rat's paw. (will allow the holder to reroll 1 attack each month)
3)  A small pewter locket w/ a picture of a young human family (worth 15 gp)
4)  A bronze key.
5)  A leather cord strung with knucklebones and a plain copper ring (worth 5 gp)
6)  A bag of dried mushrooms, if consumed will heal 1d4 damage.



Thanks to my patrons over at https://www.patreon.com/mountainfoot  - their sponsorship makes it possible for me to make more of my maps publicly available and re-usable.  If you'd like to help, and get access to additional maps available for your personal or commercial re-use, please sign up.  Sponsorship levels start at $1 each month.

This map is available for personal or commercial re-use with attribution. Please let me know if you use it for a personal game, I love to hear that my maps help people enjoy gaming. If you use them commercially and let me know, I'll post a link here.

If you need an actual license with terms, this works for me: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

No comments:

Post a Comment